17 January 2014

Been a Long Time

sorry, life does have a tendency to get in the way once in a while.  This article is not deep thinking, just a quick note about a ride I took the other day.

I was out doing a couple errands and found myself at the edge of town.  In my new location (AZ) when you find yourself at the edge of town you are at the edge of a town.  It seems like when the buildings end there is an abrupt change from town to desert.  This isn't like other areas I've lived, you have a lot of buildings, then a bunch of buildings, followed by some buildings and finally a few buildings before you get to nothingness.  Here it seems (in the majority) to just end at one point.

Anyways, I had just finished and said to myself "Hell I got some time, let's get the bike out in the desert and stretch it's legs a bit".  I head over to AZ60, twist the throttle and it's off to Wickenburg for lunch.  Traffic is nice and light in the early afternoon on a weekday.  A few lucky souls (like me) are out on their bikes and don't forget to pay attention to the blue hairs in their cages.  I believe they are out to hit anything they can some days.

I know my evening meal isn't going to be very healthy so I pick a Subway for lunch, they have good sandwiches and while all that bread isn't the best thing one of their sandwiches is better than a greasy burger.

After a quick bite to eat I head into town remaining on AZ60, I see a bunch of little shops here and there, mental notes are made to check some of them out when time permits.  This isn't a far ride and can be easily done within a few hours (including stops).

I come to Vulture Mine Rd and hang a left, heading south on this road leaves the sun warming your front side for most of the trip.  Granted it doesn't need a lot of warming when it's 68 degrees outside.  This road while it doesn't have the inclines like some of the other twisties around here (those are mountain roads) it does have twisties and some dips here and there.  It actually makes for a fun road to ride, of course the speed limit is a little slow at 40 but push it a little, limited traffic and it's safe.  I can't guarantee of course that you won't get pulled over but I find it worth the chance.

After many miles of this, oh and when you get behind some camper going just at 40 and a little under in some spots, wait for a good straight section before passing.  There are legal passing zones on this road, but many many blind spots.  So after many miles of twisting back and forth, rolling the bike through the curves it opens up a bit and you have some nice long straight sections.  Yep, you guessed it, twist that throttle back as far as it will go and see what it's got.  Pushing 100+ would be no problem in these sections.  Again, I can't guarantee you won't get a nice hefty fine but it is doable and fun.

The limit raises after a while and the twisties become sweepers which are easily taken at 70+.  Not bad for a two lane blacktop, with desert scenery to enjoy along the ride.

I came to the end of that road with a stop sign, took a left and just a couple miles took a right onto 339th Ave.  This leads me to I-10 and back to the homestead.  A nice after noon, just over 100 miles and nothing but sun shining on the face, wind in the hair and music blasting over the MP3 player (gotta have music and mounted speakers these days).  Don't be an asshole like I've seen and use earphones, well if you are an asshole go ahead cuz you'll just help clean out the gene pool.

Ok, so there are some very nice rides out here in the desert wihout having to head up in the mountains.  Even though they are so close (about 1.5 hours away) a round trip of 1 hour is sometimes all that you can do.

Take it easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment